viernes, 6 de marzo de 2015

The Torito (Bull) of Pucara




Eeey, my mom bought me a Torito (bull) of Pucara but asked me to put it on a shelf in my room, because if the bull breaks my mom also will “break” me

You know where they come from? I tell you: in Puno (south of Cuzco) is a village called Pucara. Hence come. Maaaany years ago, its people especially in the area of Pupuja, were in the habit of making clay animals like llamas, but when the Spanish people colonized Peru, brought the bull, something that had never been seen around here, like horses.

“What is that!” my great-great-great-grandparents told when they saw a bull for the first time. Then one of my great-great-great-grandparents came up to make a figure of a bull who liked to all the people and gradually they began to put on the roofs of their houses.

Then in the last century, with arrival of the train, visitors travelers also liked them and they started to take the bulls of Pucara around the world!

If you walk around the mountains of Peru, you will see on many roofs with these bulls symbolizing home protection. When are two bulls close together, represent the husband and wife, a home balanced and the common good.

 

I know a lot of the bulls of Pucara! Ask me, ask me!

For example, did you see that the bulls have a little hole on the back? In some rituals, farmers pour water or wine whitin them to symbolize live´s fertilization and continuation of life.

That is why in Pucara, elderly, adults and children are engaged in them and now even they paint them with bright colors to look more cool. Look!
 

 
And here I introduce you to my uncle Pedro Reynoso, making a bull, a torito
¡He makes wonderful Toritos of Pucará!
Well, I say goodbye for now. Visit www.perutourism.com and plans with them your trip to Peru. I will keep a bull for you! Ah! and also visit my Facebook!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario